Old November 29th 03, 04:42 PM
Don Burnette

That might be worth a try, just to salvage the mb if nothing else.

Thanks,

Don Burnette

R_Supp wrote:
Before I binned the board I would spend a couple more dollars and get
a new bios chip from Jack at www.badflash.com and if that doesn`t
remedy the situation then at least you have a new spare bios chip.

"Don Burnette" wrote in message
Here's one for the books, if anyone has any idea what I did wrong, I
would be curious to know, as I don't want this to happen again.

I had an A7N8X Deluxe version 1.4. Had always been rock solid for
me. I was running an Athlon XP2400+ in it, and decided to drop an
Athlon XP 2600+ Barton in it, since the prices were so reasonable
now.

I hve built many computers, and upgraded cpu's many times with no
problems. So I get the new chip, install it, install a Thermalrite
SLK900 heatsink w/ 92mm fan, using Arctic Silver 3.
Turned it on, immediately went into bios to correctly set the fsb.
Exited saving changes, and it started to boot, then gave some error
message about cpu changing, then shut itself off.
Try as I might, I could not get it to post again. I would turn it
on, the hdd activity light would stay solid, and it would not even
post. I checked all my connections, verified everything was correct,
still no go. I reseated all my cards and ram, no go. I took
everything out but video card, no go. I tried clearing the cmos,
still no go.
No post, no beeps, nothing. Monitor's power led was orange rather
than green, so it obviously was not getting a signal.
Treid replacing the cmos battery, and clearing it again - still , no
post. Tried putting the XP2400+ chip back in, to make sure the new
Barton chip was not bad. Still, no post..

At a loss, I figured I must have somehow fried my motherboard. So, I
orded a new A7N8X Deluxe version 2, and had it overnighted in from
Newegg.com. Put the new motherboard in, hooked everything up,
including putting my new Barton 2600+ with SLK 900 h/s, and she
posted and booted just fine, and has been running fine for the last
4 hours so far.

What in the world could have happened? This one has me stumped.
I did everthing correct, so I thought. I did it like I always do. I
never could get that mb to post again.

I am just curious, any ideas on what may have gone wrong? Seems like
I remember reading on these forums some cmos issue these earlier
boards had that could render them dead maybe??

OH, and one last question. I installed the Asus drivers off the
included cd rom. Any advantage to updating to the newer drivers from
Nvidia.com?

Thanks,
--
Don Burnette