Old April 21st 21, 10:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_42_]

Default Monitor question

On 3/15/2021 12:25 AM, Bill wrote:
I have a Asus Strix 750ti GPU.Â* It has 2GB of onboard video memory and
uses 8GB of shared system memory.Â* According to its specifications, it
can apparently handle 3840x2160 resolution.

I have been happily running a monitor (Dell UltraSharp 2407wfp) at
1900x1200 native resolution. It's got about 12 years on it. I don't
really do computing which pushes the video card harder than casual games.

If I were to upgrade to a 4k monitor (3840x2160 resolution), would I
likely be pleased or unsatisfied with the results?

I thought I would provide an update based on my experience.
I bought a 27" Dell S2721QS 4k monitor about two weeks ago. It worked
fine for almost two weeks, but then it started "blinking" (once every
33-37 seconds). (An aside: What causes that?) Unplugging it seemed to
provide a temporary fix (and I tried various strategies I don't wish to
go into here), but after a few iterations of that I decided I better
take advantage of Dell's 30 days "free return" policy while I had the
opportunity to do so.

That raises a new question. I am back to using my Dell 2407wfp which
uses a"active matrix TFT" LCD, while the new Dell uses IPS LCD.

The 12 year old 24" TFT display seem easily twice as heavy as the new 27
IPS display. I am tempted to say that there is something "warmer" about
it too, sort of like comparing a vinyl record versus an mp3. Doing a
bit of due diligence, I learned that the IPS LCD has advantages in power
consumption, and speed, and viewing angle (and I suspect in
manufacturing). But it seems to me that there is something to like
about the TFT display too, but perhaps it is under-mentioned for the
sake of marketing new products. The price I paid for each monitor was
almost exactly the same, ~$350 (without adjusting for inflation), so in
that sense, the newer one was a bit less expensive.
It seems like all "popular" monitors have gone the way of IPS (or TN).
Does anyone else like TFT monitors? Note: I realize the gamers like TN
monitors for their speed, but I don't have any experience with them, so
I can't comment. I was just curious about the "validity" of the (older)
TFT technology. Or, you could tell me that I am "imagining things", but
I'm not so sure! : ) I don't claim to be any sort of expert, and I
haven't used a lot of different monitors. Cheers!