Old May 7th 19, 08:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default "Backblaze Hard Drive Stats Q1 2019"

Lynn McGuire wrote:

Sure, we could use hydrogen for hard drive cooling. Older power plant
generators use pure hydrogen gas for cooling. With a very involved
purging and oil based sealing process. Of course, hydrogen filled hard
drives could bring back excitement to computing when they have a
containment breach.

Lynn

I've been burned by hydrogen. I have "experience" :-(

Unfortunately, the Hydrogen reacts with some of the
metals, whereas the Helium is nicely inert.

Hydrogen is also exothermic upon expansion, so if a
hole develops in a high pressure cylinder, the
stream of gas should self ignite from the heat.
Many years ago, they experimented with zeolite filled
cylinders, to reduce the rate of gas escape from
high pressure hydrogen cylinders. You could shoot a cylinder
with a high power rifle, and the gas stream was
gentle enough (because of the zeolite rate limiting)
to not catch fire. Until someone smoking a cigarette
sets it off, of course. Then if you're in a contained
area, look out.

If you order a cylinder of hydrogen from Liquid Air,
of course that won't have any rate limiting. Just
whatever your gas regulator might apply. The zeolite
experiment was intended as a solution for carrying
the gas in a moving vehicle, as a fuel store.

Paul