Old November 27th 11, 09:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

Default A dying Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500 GB SATA HDD?

On 11/27/2011 12:28 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:

Ant wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The question is whether they get more over time.

Hmm. So, last night's incident was just a hiccup?

Nope, thats when it got more over time.

Hmm, I wonder if the random and rare hard PC lock ups were caused by this dying HDD. Is that possible?

Yep. It may look like a lockup when in fact its just retrying on a bad sector.

Hard lock ups that last forever with stuck audio?

I still haven't seen any more incidents...

Because you are deliberately not using the drive.

Well, XP does use it sometimes like using its $MFT. :P I do have some
programs on there too. In fact, I used one this morning (mostly downloading a streaming video file) during a two hours
GSmartControl full test.

Sure but thats a lot less than you normally use it and may have
been using part of the drive where the problem isnt visible.

Hmm.
--
"The ambitious one makes friends with the elephant, then tramples upon
the ant." --Indian