Old June 2nd 06, 03:21 PM posted to comp.arch.embedded,comp.realtime,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen

Default disabling SMI

wrote:
Richard wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a real-time app that runs on a P4. The box we are running it on
has an Aopen i865PEa-7IF motherboard. We are using the On-Time RTOS.
We have found that every 37 seconds the app completely stops running
for 250 microseconds. Using a PCI bus analyzer we discovered that
between the last operation done by my app and when my app resumes
running shows 100's and 100's of I/O reads and writes to addresses B3,
EB, and 61. Googling on this has led me to believe that these accesses
are related to SMI's and SMM. I have disabled everything in the BIOS -
USB, LAN, power management, serial and parallel ports, modem, firewire,
MIDI and game ports - yet my app still stops and I still see these
accesses.

Does anyone know how I can totally disable the SMI's?

Are you using an Intel processor with this, or a compatible non Intel part?

I am using an Intel 3.6 GHz P4 (775 socket

I have experienced a similar problem when we switched components once, but I
forget which (non Intel) part was giving us the grief. It turned out to be
some silicon bug which had been mentioned on the On-Time support archive.
Sorry my memory of it is too sketchy but I think there was some way of
disabling the SMI in software during the start-up routine - but this then
lead me to a different problem and in the end I just ditched the processor
for a different variant.

It might be that your problem is completely different but I suggest looking
through the On-Time support archive for SMI or SMM. You should hit some
info if you go back far enough.

I've been told this by others as well, but my searches in the archives
have not turned up any hits.

My bad - I found these posts, but they're all related to the AMD Geode
GX-1 CPU, not the P4. I did try what was suggested in those threads,
but it didn't help in my situation atl all.

-larry