Old December 14th 09, 09:10 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
THEO@TO.

Default Problem with WordPad all of a sudden.

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:11:15 +0000, JD
wrote:

THEO@TO. wrote:
For years I've been taking .jpgs and pasting them in WordPad
documents and thought it was a great thing to be able to do it.
I've done hundreds of documents like that and never had any
problems. But now all of a sudden they don't show the pictures or
even the text anymore, but instead it's just a bunch of symbols
like y's with dots over them and rectangular blocks, etc... Can
anyone explain what happened and how to make it work the way it
did before?

I'm not a big fan of wordpad cant say I use it much but it sound's like
the strange letters and symbols you are seeing are the CODE of the JPG
file,

That sounds right.

the only thing I can think of is that if it is saving it as .txt
file; then a .txt file can only contain text, make sure you are saving
as .rtf or .doc.

These are files that have been .doc files and working fine for
years, but now all of a sudden they're acting like .txt files I
guess. I don't know if it could have anything to do with this,
but I tried opening a .jpg with LView and got the message:
.....jpg is not a valid Win32 application. Well I never said it
was, but it was after that the problems seemed to begin with
WordPad.

Theres a Free Word processor package out there called OpenOfice.org,
which can read and write to Microsoft files as well as many others
including PDF if you write a lot of text you might be better off with
this instead.

My idea is that every PC should have NotePad and WordPad, so use
them so I can open whatever on any PC. Of course that doesn't
work either because at lot of my programs were made on older
computers so for some reason when I try to open old WordPad files
in newer PCs I get a message like: 'Can not open Word (whatever)
files, or something like that. Well I'm not trying to open Word
files at all, and in fact deliberately try to use WordPad in an
effort to avoid that exact kind of problem.