Old September 17th 09, 09:48 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

Default Replacing EMC Clariion disks with Best Buy disks

lid wrote:
Cydrome Leader kenjka:
Other option is to go to Hitachi AMS2000 series which uses SAS drives, and
costs almost half of the same-range EMC CLARiiON... And they will surely
give you quite a discount if replacing this CX700...

Do you have any first hand reports on the AMS2000?

Yup, we sell it too...

So what's the good and bad of them vs. the ams1000, aside from the change
in disk trays?

Absolutely no idea... I'm in EMC team, not in Hitachi... All that I know is

Ha, ok.

that Hitachi guys (as well as my EMC team) are considering Hitachi AMS
series as a real problem when trying to sell EMC... Hitachi's more reliable
and almost twice cheaper, but there are other problems with Hitachi which
are more people-related than technology-related...

Mmy opinion is the software for the hitachi stuff all sucks. There doesn't
seem to be any support website, I have no idea where you get docs, if they
exist or are even translated into English and the programs themselves are
just strange and somewhat crippled. I might use three different Hitachi
programs at once just to add a LUN to a host. It makes no sense, other
than Hitachi had non-technical people that can't spell SAN write the
management softare.

The hardware itself seems good. Every once in a while a drive fails and
somebody shows up to replace it.