Old October 25th 18, 08:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

Default Need IOGEAR KVM Manual

On 10/25/2018 12:28 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
snip...
The manual also tells you what the front USB ports are for. They are
NOT for switching between hosts. The front USB ports are for
*peripherals*. You use /*ONE*/ keyboard and mouse with this KVM, and
they connect on the backside ports. You are sharing one keyboard and
mouse amongst multiple computers. Pages 10 & 11 of the manual show you
what goes to which port on the KVM.

snip..

Yes, the single keyboard and mouse (trackball in my case) connect to the
rear of the KVM and that is the only place they have a chance of working
properly. Sometimes switching among connected computers can be confusing
and misleading. A _short_ touch on a button will switch the keyboard and
mouse while leaving the peripherals connected where they were. A _long_
touch will switch everything. Watch the colors of the indicators to tell
which is which. While it is certainly possible that something is internally
defective in the KVM I wouldn't suspect that immediately. What happens if
you move the troublesome computer to a different port location on the KVM?
There is no requirement to use them sequentially.

The KVM has some sort of hot key arrangement too but I've never once
bothered with it -- the buttons are far more convenient to me.

If you continue to have problems, communicating with the manufacturer's
service folks might be worthwhile. They've sold a _huge_ number of these
things and if there has been a similar problem they likely have seen it before.

As for age -- I am 71 years old. No senility yet that I've noticed but then
again, if I was losing it maybe I wouldn't notice...