Old December 14th 06, 12:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Default FX5200 AGP 3.0 x8 on ASUS P2B mobo, works on 3.3V ok?

Ehud Shapira wrote:
DaveW wrote:
The old "AGP 1.0" standard of your motherboard may be the problem why a
modern video card will not work.

Of course that *might* be the problem (I haven't tried it yet), that's
exactly what I'm asking.

The thing is, everything on the web and Usenet indicates it should work
fine (although not MSI, but then again, tech support people tend to be
pretty misguided and non-helpful).

I just want to verify it's ok and not try something that might harmful.

I just tested it for you. I plugged an MSI FX5200 into my P2B-S
motherboard (440BX based) and it works fine. I booted into Knoppix
and it worked OK. This is not as strong an endorsement as running
it with a Windows OS, but I didn't want to have to install any
drivers, and booting my Knoppix 5.1 CD is great for fast tests.

I also tested an ATI 9800Pro, a card with universal keying on the
edge card, and I got the "three beep" code, which means the BIOS
was not able to see the card. If there is one weakness about my
setup, it is that the AGP slot and video cards, don't fit together
as well as they should. The card that fits the best, is my Geforce3
TI200, and that is the card I used when I was tightening up the
motherboard screws.

So it looks to me like your FX5200 purchase should be OK.

HTH,
Paul