Old August 25th 10, 11:47 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
noi ance

Default power supply questions

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:20:39 -0400, dh typed this message:

Hi,

I work at a night club and we have a lighting control board that has two
mother boards. The other day it wouldn't try to come on at all, acting
like it wasn't getting power. So I made sure it was getting power,
unplugged and plugged it back several times, and tried starting it
several times. Finally after a number of attempts it started up and ran
fine, but a couple of tech people said it sounds like the power supply
is going bad. It has a HIGH POWER® HPC-360-302 DF power supply. If I
remember right it has five connectors: 1 twenty wire, 3 four wire, and 1
two wire. We tried replacing it with a newer type from Micro Center, and
had to use an adapter to try to make the two wire connector work. It
looked like everything connected right but it never would boot up with
that power supply, and said it needed us to insert a system disc or
something. When I put the old power supply back in it started up fine
again. Can anyone let me know what happened, and suggest what to do if
we can't get another power supply just like the one that's going bad?
I'm afraid it has been discontinued.

Thanks for any help!

David

Did you need to attach the extra 4pin connector to the motherboard? The
2 wire is typically to power fans, so, maybe the motherboard needs the
24pin power connection instead of a 20pin connection from that power
supply. Or you could have just missed securely plugging in the
connections.