Old October 10th 08, 10:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

Default can i buy ddr2 1333MHz?

'Beemer' wrote:
Having used computers and programming before the "personal computer" and
passing college courses including "solid-state electronic techniques" I
do wonder whether I should try to keep up with you younger folks!

_____

What makes you think you are older than others in this newsgroup? I started
with magnetic core memory on a Univac 1050 in 1965 B^)

Phil Weldon

"Beemer" wrote in message

"General Schvantzkopf" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 14:23:01 +0100, Beemer wrote:

I want to buy 2 x 2GB of DDR2 (not DDR3) 1333Mhz memory. Who makes
this and can I buy it in the UK?

regards,

Beemer

Why do you want 1333MHz memory? The bottleneck in a Core2 system is the
FSB not the RAM. The FSB is only 64 bits wide which means that the
fastest RAM the bus can handle is the FSB speed/2 (because each DIMM in
the pair is also 64 bits wide). The fastest FSB speed available is 1600
which translates into DDR2 800. DDR2 1200 is widely available. 1200 is a
50% overclock of the FSB which is more than enough. BTW most motherboards
have a maximum FSB of 1333 not 1600.

Your reply is logical and I guess I was lured into 1:1 by Giga-Byte's
recent 1333 bios release statement.

Having used computers and programming before the "personal computer" and
passing college courses including "solid-state electronic techniques" I
do wonder whether I should try to keep up with you younger folks!

thanks,

Beemer