Old July 28th 04, 08:43 AM
Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:41:23 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:20:10 +1000, Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:05:26 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 06:17:14 +1000, Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:16:34 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Could someone explain "This little ugly thing is the PFC coil, it will be removed due to the fact that it increase power loss and makes a loud humm noise."? I thought PFC was to SAVE power? So I can just remove those things?

PFC reduces the peak AC current drawn by your PSU. It does nothing to
reduce the *real* metered power consumed by it. Australian domestic
consumers pay for real power, ie kW not kVA, so a unity PF appliance
will provide no cost benefit to me. The electricity supplier, however,
will benefit from the reduced current demand. PFC is particularly
important in heavy industry where high peak loadings are penalised
with higher tariffs.

I'm not sure what you mean with this metering. Are you saying some meters just measure current drawn, then just assume it was all at an average of 240 volts?

This is how Energy Australia answered a similar question:

To answer your question, most residential classification customers are
metered by a spinning disc [watt]meter, or a basic electronic meter
which does not have enough "smarts" in the meter device to enable
billing to be carried out at a KVA pricing.

Currently small customers are billed on KWh pricing, and KVA Demand
pricing usually relates to large commercial and industrial
installations where poor power factor may impact upon the EA network,
and there may be an economic billing benefit in the customer pricing
to ensure that Power factor is closer to Unity.

I guess we have the spinning disk in the UK too then. Odd, I was told when studying electronics that the power factor correction in fluourescent ballasts was to save money on the electricity bill!

The situation in the UK may be different. Ask your electricity
supplier whether you are billed for kVA or kWh. In any case, PFC is
now a requirement for the EU.

See http://www.seasonic.com/support/a01.jsp

"January 2001, European Union have adopted the requirement for new
electronic equipment that consumes more than 75 watts to meet the EN
61000-3-2 specification for harmonic content."

- Franc Zabkar