Old February 13th 05, 03:06 PM
Maria Ripanykhazova

Ben
Did I not do adequately by completely formatting the drive in Partition
Commander? I admit I did try ignoring the contents and reformatting it and
it was completely formatted FAT32 and is now quick-formatted NTFS: Is there
any possibility that any Apple sectors remain which prevent NTLDR being
either put in the proper place OR being seen on boot? If so what should I do
having formatted it so many times?

I admit, the full format did take hours and numerous bad sectors were
identified but when it was finished, there were only a few tiny parts of the
drive which showed up as being unusable, less than a few megabytes out of a
15 Gig hard drive. That is why I am trying it: I will do a Norton Disc
DOctor on the drive when I have an OS installed and see if it is disastrous,
Then I will take a decision on whether I should replace this drive on a
tertiary-use computer. I certainly dont intend putting anything significant
on it or anything I wouldnt mind losing: This will probably be my living
room computer for surfing the internet while I am watching television, If I
come across a 'favorite' I need to add to a bookmark, I can surely do this
across a network?

3. Does the full capacity of the drive show up in the system BIOS setup or

when
formatted with the DOS FORMAT command? If not, then there is no simple

and easy
workaround for notebook computer with a BIOS that imposes hard drive

capacity
limitations.

I am not sure that an Armada M700 is a BIOS that imposes hard drive
capacity limitations.

4. If the drive was previously used on a Mac, I would suggest zeroing out

all
the sectors on the drive before attempting any of the steps needed to

install
Windows. PowerMax has this feature. Actually, it's only necessary to

wipe out
the first sectors on the drive, not the entire drive contents. Mac hard

disk
formats are entirely incompatible with Windows, and may be creating

confusion
with some part of the installation process... Ben Myers

Do YOU think this is preventing NTLDR being seen on a drive which has been
full-formatted three or four times now, both in FAT32 and NTFS?