Old July 14th 18, 04:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default AMD and a hot date to flirt at the horrorshow

On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 06:22:54 +0000 (UTC), dogs wrote:

On S

Never owned a Mobile Athlon, looked at 'em, and only one Barton (2.5GHz)
which I sold in a discounted build for unrelated (MB) issues (brownouts
caused the MB to reset the CPU to 1.2Ghz).

I personally don't feel comfortable running Athlons in excess of 120F.
Desktops. Not sure if that Mobile may be sped'd somewhat higher.

I think the voltage is just spec'd lower, allowing it to run cool enough
in a laptop.

I dropped the voltage again, to 1.325, and Xfce's "Whisker Menu" lost its
marbles. 2Ghz and 1.375v is where it will stay.

The lack of SSE2 is what will put it out to pasture. In another year,
maybe two. Firefox 52.9ESR is the last FF that will run on this old
processor.

I recall plenty of time on many AMD Athons, which tended to exhibit
erratic behavior if approached to aggressively from a standpoint of
heat. Along with some effort on my part to keep them running
preferably closer to 115F than not.

Yes, no doubt the WEB and certain elements are certainly out to break
things in honoring metadata collection in furthering a unified
platform for such techniques. Some, no doubt sooner than others,
although MSFT Windows® would seem one to exhibit a tendency to run
awhile more, theoretically, than an party stance more or less
unofficially intent to force everyone over to Windows 10.

Outside all of which, including a continued Mozilla Corporation to
free and open-source effects, that does sound rather strange to hear,
that AMD Turion technology, in a processor no less capable of dual
cores, can be enabled obsolete in lacking (AMD's imperfect*)
implementation of Intel SSE2 instruction sets. (*AMD's site and WIKI
SSE2 article/cites below.)

Which is also ignoring a vastness both prior to Windows 10, than in
any sense can be any less relevant for an *NIX WEB platform browser,
among a whole prior generation of usually single cores, as adequate
means still to peruse a matter of WEB concerns.

Then again, so as far as Mozilla Corporation, that might place me near
if not actually running a Celeron D, my first Intel processor since a
386SX, largely after only AMD or Cyrix processors. I was
disillusioned at the time with Intel, a decade or more until the
Celeron D, or very slightly after and up until [re]implementing a
Socket 478. Mozilla Corporation I'm afraid I'd have to similarly
disqualify, as all but for FireFox ESR, dated back to version 17.0.6,
which can be somewhat further distanced for a Free and Open-Source TOR
modification directly upon Mozilla Corporation. I forget exactly what
it was that dissatisfied me about Mozilla Corporation, past 17.0.6,
but which would also date me for the last time I looked at a Mozilla
Corporation product.

Probably too free a hand at breaking useful add-on efforts, from other
freeware developers, as browser extensions. Perhaps such useful
things, to be found by extensions, generally along a theme of
thwarting a later concerted effort from 3rd-party "intrusions", now as
apt known under the obsequious moniker of metadata. Or maybe it was I
just lost my faith in browsers and a core Internet and what the latter
altogether had turned into.

-
*
[Excuse me. My browser, at least in this convenient iteration and
form, also has limited site compliance.]

Utilities - AMD Support
support.amd.com/en-us/search/utilities?k=processor Proxy Highlight
Use this page to download processor drivers for legacy operating
systems that have been ... Current drivers for Microsoft Windows
Vista® and Windows® 7 can be .... Opteron, Athlon 64, and Athlon 64
X2, Turion, and Turion X2 PowerNow!

The following IA-32 CPUs support SSE2:
Intel NetBurst-based CPUs (Pentium 4, Xeon, Celeron, Pentium D,
Celeron D)
Intel Pentium M and Celeron M
Intel Atom
AMD Athlon 64