Old July 10th 18, 02:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Can I make my power supply fan turn faster?

On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 12:41:02 -0400, lid wrote:

The fan is making noise. I can stop it with a pencil. I sprayed a
jet of wd 40. It is a little more quiet. I think if I could get it
spinning faster and give it one more burst, it might hit the spot.

What your material life expectancy over orientation
(vertical/horizontal) of the sleeve or ball-bearing stator and whether
it is designed for a self-contained seal?

Noise is out of specs if rated at anything above R, which includes
your pencil, or, for that mater, anything else that physically
deviates or compromises the integral intent of application's
engineering. I.e., fan resistance is not designed for
end-maintenance.*

.. . .

V=E+IR,

V is motor terminal voltage

Terminal Voltage = Back EMF + Armature Current * Armature Resistance

E is the back EMF and I is the motor current and R is the armature
resistance, as E falls (you slow the motor down by applying a
mechanical load, I increases and the armature losses increase.

Available torque goes DOWN with increasing speed. Available power from
a DC motor is maximum at the rated speed. Available torque is maximum
at zero speed.

Armature current is proportional to electrical load when DC machine is
a generator, and is proportional to mechanical load when DC machine is
a motor.

*Armature Resistance stays constant as it's based on its physical
construction.