Old June 17th 18, 05:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

Default Unreally Lucky HDD

Larc wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 14:36:09 -0000 (UTC), "Yes"
wrote:

Flasherly wrote:

| -- snipped --
| You mentioned, unless I'm misinterpreting, you're
| effectively tapped out on returns -- Seagate will only send you so
| many replacement warranty issues, three now being your last right
to | make a warranty claim?
| -- snipped --

No, as far as I know. I bought the original HD in April 2018. The
warranty extends till 2020. My impression when talking with the
Seagate representatives is that Seagate would continue to replace a
defective drive with a new one until I got one that worked. The
customer service experience I had after buying the drive and the
follow-up conversations were very direct, pleasant and
satisfactory.

3 replacements are too many. They could offer to keep replacing
units until you get one that's satisfactory until the cows come home,
but that's too much crap to have to put up with. I usually give
anybody a chance to make things right... ONCE, but would have
demanded a refund with the 2nd defective HDD no matter how nice their
customer service people are.

Larc

I bought the original drive from newegg, NOT Seagate. Under the
circumstances, I felt that demanding a refund from the manufacturer
itself was ethically unreasonable - Seagate made the product, but
newegg is the one I bought it from and to whom I paid the money. By
the time things had played out (by the time of the third drive), I had
also decided that trying to get a refund from newegg would have been
too stressful. The third drive does work, so aside from the
aggravation involved dealing with the DOA drives, things have
reasonably settled down now.

The problem I had with the drive does mean that any future drives I buy
will most likely not be Seagate.

John