Old June 10th 18, 10:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Upgrading USB 2 to USB 3 ports on a computer case

On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 16:07:56 -0000 (UTC), "Yes"
wrote:

I can't say I'm surprised at Amazon's price, but I have a very low
opinion of their pricing on a lot of items anyway.

I bought my mobo back in 2010 or so. It was a lot less costly then :-)

IIRC, ASUS offered two similarly named mobos at the time when I bought
it; perhaps one was for the European market and one for the U.S. ??? -
shrug.

Regardless, my mobo has held up well over the years and still does what
I want it to do. Where it shows its age is wrt new tech. Data
transfer speed is something I like, so it'd be nice to have USB 3.1
capability. And I seem to recall reading something about similar
progress for SATA transfer speeds. My mobo of course handles USB 3.0,
not the newer USB 3.1.

In retrospect, the mobo is probably not a good match with the case
because the PSU is located on the bottom. The mobo has two slots for a
graphics card. I tried the suggestion to move the graphics card to the
other slot in order to make the PCI-e slots accessible. Doing so freed
up access to the PCI-e slots but created what seems to me a different
problem - the graphics card was immediately above the fan of the PSU.
There was a narrow gap between the card and the PSU. I was worried
that the flow of the air from the PSU would overheat the graphics card
- the PSU fan and the graphics card's fan faced other directly - so I
placed the card back to where I had it to begin with.

An older Asus than I'd first suspected. A bit. Mine, the Gigabyte,
I'd as well suspect for design concepts dated closer to yours than
not. (AMD's generation past on Bulldozer technology.) Perhaps a
little more popular for a budget-builder's board, though, or less apt
to pop in the Amazon's mystery-bin pricing rackets....

Gigabyte 78LMT (rev6.0) FX-8300 Octal (Hm, seems I can also run your
processor.)
Order Date: 5/26/2017
GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 6.0) AM3+ AMD 760G + SB710 USB 3.0 HDMI
Micro ATX AMD Motherboard 59.99

Wrong again...$178, as the board is probably originally worth half
yours in the first place. ...If to linearly extrapolate on a factor
of three, then makes your paid price roundabout (359/3=)$119.
https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GA-7.../dp/B008TZZ4WC

Amazon's just fine, more than fine, by the way. They're just another
swinging player, swinging along where everyone has to follow the same
simple rules as do you: To get over on them before they're on top of
you and stay out of jail to continue to play. The game is named of
course to date back to its obscure originality, called Caveat Emptor.

I haven't bothered yet to install the USB3 point-zero drivers for
mine, although I do exclusive use onboard video because I like it
extra simple. Game play is far to proprietorially challenging for my
league.

I probably started to give on all that heat somewhere back with a
12-bay case, 4 DVD writers, and a slew of custom-wired, dinky-butted
case fans, possibly ten, each I'd ingeniously thought out for
placement, for that peculiar epoch in computing. As a result, I now
put on one grapefruit-sized monster CPU cooler on all CPUs,
regardless, for cheap $20 on-sale insurance, turn around, and just
leave one case side, (the side opposite where the MB is mounted), off
and removed. If laying the case on its side, on a table, letting heat
arise up and out, so much the better;- I've both vertical- and
horizontal-standing instances of removed case sides;- with one last
residual case fan, a modern big-butted, and quiet, case fan dedicated
to the HDD plane. And that's about all there is to not being bothered
to button back up a case for all those scary-looking wires stuffed
wherever is most convenient for stuff that gets jammed inside and out
of sight.

Easy-&-peasy, as you please, for doing less hard maintenance time.