Old November 30th 10, 05:29 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
me

Default Interfacing the printer port

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:36:52 -0000, "David"
wrote:

Hi all,

My client has a device that prints to an Epson LX300+II printer. It is not a
computer, but an electronic measuring device.

I need to capture the data coming from the device.

The device output to the printer is using 11 wires, they are D0 to D7, GND,
Busy and Strobe, going into a regular centronics type connector into the
printer.

I have mapped all pins to their identical on the PC. I was initially
thinking a crossover like laplink, but realised that laplink uses 4 data
bits rather than 8, so was not suitable.

I am writing in C# and using inpout32.dll on Windows XP. My port is 0x378

I am having trouble when the device sends, to read it. At the moment, I have
a loop just monitoring what is on 0x378, but it is missing the whole
communication.

I think I need to raise the busy line (re-map it to a output control line)
but then how do I monitor the strobe? I think that needs to be mapped to an
input line... however, I need C# to be able to respond to the strobe as an
event. I have no idea how to do that...

Also, I am assuming that it is ascii data that is sent to the printer (ascii
on the data lines). Am I correct in this assumption?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you looked at the avaiable refes for this printer?
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...odoid=63061037