Old October 13th 04, 06:40 PM
Neil Maxwell

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:16:17 -0400, "Locutus"
wrote:

I will say that a dvd will last 100 times longer than an HDD

There is no data to support this. Since recordable DVD storage is a
relatively new medium, it will be some years before we know if it has
the same dye degradation problems CDRs do (though it appears that it
does, based on early reports). Even then, the dye and reflective
layer formulations are constantly being changed, so data valid on 2
year old 2.4X media is not applicable to today's 8X media.

Plus if the HDD dies you lose ALL your data
unless there is a fire you will not lose all the DVD/CD,s

These are true, and DVDs can be stored off-site as well.

DVD/CD's are easier to transport,will handle shock,moisture and all other things that will kill an HDD

DVDs are susceptible to shock and flexing causing the two
polycarbonate layers to delaminate from the data layer. Moisture can
cause problems with the dye layer if there are any gaps in the edge
seal. Also, leaving one sitting in the sunlight will kill it quickly.
We don't even know all the failure mechanisms for DVD yet.

So in conclusion DVD/CD storage is cheaper in the long run

More like the risks and costs are different between the two media.