Old October 13th 04, 06:32 PM
Neil Maxwell

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:43:08 +0100, nospam
wrote:

That said, media cost is one of many considerations and only becomes
significant when you have a real lot of data. Both media have significant
pros and cons, there is no clear winner. Personally I use both.

I believe this is the best solution.

HD provides fast, automatable, inexpensive, high-capacity, hands-off
backup, but you have all your eggs in one basket, susceptible to power
supply failures, viruses, user error, mechanical failure, theft, etc.

DVD is slower, needs to be started and loaded manually, requires more
media, and is susceptible to dye degradation, disc delamination, UV
exposure, and such, but can easily be stored off-site, can be kept in
multiple versions, is easy to transport, etc.

It's relatively inexpensive to use both for data you really care
about.