Old June 15th 11, 08:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Noik

Default Can't make audio CD containing MP3s

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 00:03:45 -0400, "Rhino"
wrote:

Once upon a time I was kinda up-to-date on what was going on with CD
media/burners. That was back when it was constantly evolving with
higher burn speeds, different dyes being used by different
manufacturers, etc. Things have stabilized now, at least as far as
burn speeds go, and it's a technology that's looking at End Of Life
eyeball to eyeball. And when it got to the point where it all "just
worked" for me, I stopped paying attention. Burner/media compatibility
used to be *very* important. It probably isn't now. But I'd bet that
there are *lots* of crappy burners on the market now.

So maybe the best move would be to try a different brand of media?

For CDRW? Dunno, maybe. I'd guess not, there's no way around the
lower reflectivity.

It's a
LiteOn burner - model DH-20A4H - so perhaps the website will indicate brands
of CD-RWs that work well with it.

It might, but I'd guess that media is so standardized these days
that you won't find info like that. Liteon had a *very* good
reputation back when I was paying attention. I had one, and they'd
regularly update the firmware to accomodate the new media that the
manufacturers were coming out with.

(And then maybe I can actually find one of
those brands in the stores....)

That *is* a bit tricky. Manufacturers generally don't put their
brand on media, and brands generally buy from several manufacturers.
But stay away from Memorex. I really do believe that they buy the
dregs that didn't meet the specs of other brands.

The other alternative would be a different burner, which wouldn't be
completely crazy either. I've never been able to get the DMA to work on this
burner although I've got a question in to LiteOn about that; maybe they'll
have a solution. Burners are pretty cheap these days....

Not having DMA could kinda suck. But not like in the old days where
if the burner had a "buffer underrun" it would present you with a
coaster. ;-)

Are there any CD/DVD burners that have a particularly good reputation and
are also affordable and work with most of the major brands of media?

Based on what I know from years ago, I would say Liteon. ;-)