Old February 1st 04, 02:11 PM
chris

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 01:55:14 +1300, Species wrote:

Ted Grevers wrote:

I'm posting this for two reasons: One, I want to know what people have
seen in comparing the AMD 3200 to an Intel 3.2GHz. Also, what are the
benefits of selecting the Intel system over AMD, or AMD over Intel
system.

Are you talking about the AMD Athlon XP 3200+ or the AMD Athlon64 3200+?
The AMD64 is faster, and not significantly more expensive.

Right

I can't think of any benefit of buying an Intel CPU over an AMD64.

Video encoding

I am tired of reading magazine reviews of the 2 systems side by side.
I'm curious what the real world has seen of these two systems. To me,
depending on who owns the magazine, it can be biased reporting.

My goal is to purchase a replacement to my current Intel system in the
next 30 days, and outside of what's read in the magazines, I don't
know anyone with either the AMD or Intel systems running at the new,
higher speeds.

may as well wait the full 30 days, as prices should drop

One buys a peecee whenever necessary, otherwise it's best to wait another
6 months since CPUs will be even cheaper then.

Presently, I'm biased towards the Intel system, only because I have
never owned an AMD based system. Are there software incompatibilities
to be worried about, or a unique set of patches that an operating
system may need based on the processor itself?

Not really. The joke is that AMD processors are more compatible with
Intel processors than Intel ones

Do you mind to explain?

The main focus of this system will be for Photoshop, as well as
Illustrator, and some Video encoding and editing work. If it were for
surfing the web, and email, I'd stick with the current system I have.

As a level set, the system that I eventually do get will have 1GB of
RAM, as well as 800MHz FSB.

Please... your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

-Ted

Ted, since you do video encoding, a P4 system may be beneficial for you
(although a bit worse for your wallet). If you'd decide to go for an AMD
system however, please also check the thread "Why ppl dont like VIA?",
you'll find useful information there to help decide what mainboard to get.

Best regards,
Chris