Old August 16th 18, 02:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
wasbit[_4_]

Default "Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

"Lynn McGuire" wrote in message
news

snip

I stripped the 8 TB out of an external WD drive to replace the internal 4
TB backup drive on my office pc. The USB is on a daughterboard so no big
deal. I've done the stripping before.

However, my office pc will not address the 8 TB internal drive. It will
address the 4 TB internal drive though. So, my conclusion is that my 5
year old Gigabyte Z68XP motherboard cannot address the 8 TB drive. I
bought a SATA board to see if it can address the drive but have yet to try
it out.

They are called 'schucked' drives.

Try powering the drive from a Molex + Sata adaptor or remove the 3.3v wire
from the Sata cable.

-
https://lime-technology.com/forums/t...n-flashed-lsi/

Or, isolate pin 3 on the drive