Old October 17th 16, 01:19 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Jim[_38_]

Default Safe to format 4TB to NTFS

On 17/10/2016 00:57, Jim wrote:
On 16/10/2016 23:42, VanguardLH wrote:
Jim wrote:

I have used EaseUS Partition Master 11.9 to format my WD Green to the
NTFS format, is this safe to do (safe as in drive not breaking down, and
losing data) or should i format to the GPT format?

Jim

There is no GPT *file* format. If you want to use a partition then
decide on what *file system* you want inside of it, like NTFS. GPT is
the *partitioning scheme*.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

In that case how does it fit when wiki says "Because partition tables on
master boot record (MBR) disks support only partition sizes up to 2 TB,
dynamic or GPT volumes must be used to create NTFS volumes over 2 TB"
My boot drives are small ssd's running mbr and these bigger 4TB drives
are only for media storage or have i got the wrong end of the stick (not
unusual i know)

Jim

Now i'm confused (

According to EaseUS it's saying
"File System is NTFS"
"Disk Type is GPT"

So am i right in thinking then that anything BELOW 2TB will be
FAT32/NTFS/ExFAT etc that being the "File System" and anything above 2TB
CAN be formatted to NTFS as well but will be GPT because it's over 2 TB?