Old February 5th 18, 08:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

Default HD question consumer grade and enterprise grade

On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 18:21:31 -0000 (UTC), "Yes" wrote:

| An ad at newegg got me curious. AS much as possible in layman's words,
| what is the difference between Western Digital's black performance
| series of desktop hard drives and their gold enterprise series of hard
| drives. newegg had a shell shocker deal today for a WD Black 2TB
| Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache
| 3.5 Inch - WD2003FZEX. I continued browsing newegg and ran across a WD
| Gold 2TB Enterprise Class Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s
| 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD2005FBYZ offered for the same price.
|
| I know the "black" series is a consumer model aimed at gamers, and the
| "gold" series is aimed at the business sector. Both models have the
| same capacity (2TB) speed (7200 RPM), SATA (6Gb/s) and form (3.5").
| The only difference I can determine between them from the ad is that
| the "gold" model HD uses a larger cache (128MB) than the "black
| performance" model (64MB).
|
| In the past, I would have expected business (enterprise) level drives
| to be more expensive than consumer grade drives because the enterprise
| drives needed to be more durable and reliable than the consumer grade
| drives. In this instance, they're priced the same. So I'm trying to
| figure out which type (black or gold series) makes sense to buy. I
| prefer reliability and durability, but I fall into the target audience
| for the "black performance" drive.
|
| Shouldn't the "gold" drive work as well as if not better than the
| "black performance" drive?. Thoughts about what other issues to
| consider?

I see both drives are warrantied for 5 years. The biggest difference is probably the
128mb vs. 64mb cache. I might opt for gold based on that with both being the same
price, although the actual noticeable difference in use is likely negligible.

Larc