Old November 20th 03, 02:21 AM
Packrat

"the yeti" wrote in message
om...
"Packrat" wrote in message

. ..
I started experiencing total system shutdowns about 3 months after

installing
the Aquarium screen saver on my Presario notebook. This would happen
about 10 minutes after the fish started swimming. I took it be a power
management
problem and played with the settings... no change from what I could see.
OK, I so I don't need fish!

Microsoft Pluse XP fish screen saver? That eats massive processor and memory.

Now I can duplicate the system shutdown with any program which maxes the

CPU/
memory for more that 5 minutes,

So now it crashes whenever you run anything processor intensive? Is it

overheating?

Tough to tell. The thing always ran hot and the fans definitely respond to the
demands.
I can tell you this: When the problem occurs, the fans are tach'd right up there
is the
high speed mode. The latest thing that happened is that the system shut down
during
the installation of the new keyboard controller firmware. The factory told me
to update
both that and the BIOS (already done, previously). Now they want me to ship it
back under warranty because they feel it is a hardware problem. Right now, back
at
square one. I can send mail, browse and, of course post to newsgroups.
Life is almost good. Thanks for any help. =)

- pack