Old December 9th 18, 02:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pheasant16

Default Updating an XP box

Have an old box using XP with 5 hard drives full of data that needs
updating due to financial website issues and XP.

Would it be possible to add Win 7 or 10 on an SSD in an PCIE slot to
get a newer operating system and retain most of the integrity of the
current box?

The current MB is probably about 10 years old, MSI 980-G65.

Haven't messed with a build since this one, but thought if possible to
do the above, then I could remove all HD connectors except the SSD get
it booted and then plug all the drives in and let it reassign new
letters to the drives. Then add the programs back to the SSD and away
we go.

If that is possible would I need to tell the bios not to find the old HD
with XP or once it boots into a newer one, would that not be a concern

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mark