Old July 16th 09, 12:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
philo

Default PB 486 on the 'net !!

Robert E. Watts wrote:
Hi "philo" !

( Inserting comments as I go, be sure to read all the way down..... )

"philo" wrote in message news:H-

When I put a larger HD in my PB P-1 I ended up also using an overlay...
had not problems with it.

I'm not having problems with the DDO, just don't like 'em. :-)
If a BIOS will detect a drive without it, I prefer to go that way. I have
seen older BIOS' "see" a HDD, but then not *use* it. Same with this system,
it sees the HDD fine in the BIOS every, but after booting, the HDD no longer
exists. I know it's not a 2.1+ GIG barrier problem, 'cause it sees it in
BIOS ( and the drive is right at 2 gig. Or maybe it's 2.1, I'll check )
Curiously, this BIOS will translate over 528 meg just fine. Be interesting
to see if the BIOS screen will "see" up to the 8.4 gig barrier. Waste of
time since it won't use it though.

As another matter of curiosity, the exact same day I got this PB 486 tower,
I received a PB 486 Desktop with the exact same motherboard, and 486DX2-66
CPU. ( I now have three of the "modern" PB's with 486 ). That machine came
with a 540 meg drive that is dead. I slapped in a 1.2 gig drive ( to see
what would happen), and it not only recognized the drive in BIOS, but went
ahead and booted to it !!!!
I *thought* the tower computer had the newest 450 Ver 1.1a BIOS, but it's
possible that it does not, and that could be the reason that the other
machine uses the drive over 528 meg. Dunno. Even if a BIOS update would
correct the problem, I probably wouldn't do it for fear of something failing
and rendering the BIOS/motherboard unusable. Never have had a failed BIOS
flash upgrade before, but I'm due. :-)

Be nice to find one of these with the PCI slots. They *do* exist. Hey Ben,
do you know if I can slap a riser in one of these with PCI slots, upgrade
the BIOS, and it work ? Probably not, 'cause the only risers I have are for
Pentium's, and I doubt they are the same electrically.

I did try a PCI IDE card...but the system never detected it.

Early PCI systems are a mess. I have a large collection of Socket 4 Pentium
60/66MHz boards, and they are tricky to tinker with at best !

BTW I have a 386 in my collection with win95 on it and it works just fine
on-line

Neato ! What OS and browser are you using ?

Well for quite a while I was fooling around a lot with those old machines..

The 386 is running Win95a and the Off By One browser.

It's an amd 40 mhz cpu and 16 megs of ram

It runs pretty well. I basically just did it to see what could be
done...it's not really a practical machine...
but I was using it in my workshop for a while