Old June 9th 05, 05:41 AM
Dave

"Ann-Marie" wrote in message
m...
Hi,
It's a D-link DSL-604+, it has built in modem, router, switch, WAP, so I
guess thats why it takes quite a lot of power.

I looked in the manual, and it says the power consumption is 12W max,
which, I worked out to be 1.6A at 7.5V - would that be right?

If I get this 1700mA adapter, and run it at 7.5V, is there a risk of fire
or anything? or is that only if I got a lower rated one.

You must keep the voltages the same but you can go higher on the current,
not lower. So if the device says 7.5V at 1500mA then you must get one with
7.5V and at least 1500mA. The 1700mA one will be fine.

If you use a plug pack with less than 1500mA then you risk burning out the
supply and/or the device which could lead to a fire.

Of course some laptops can use a range of voltages but that would be stated
on the device.

Dave