Old June 8th 05, 11:11 PM
Phil Weldon

'JANA' wrote: "The router draw the current that is correct."

Correct, given everything is working properly.

'JANA' wrote: "If you were to read up on ohm's law and understand it, you
would understand the answer to this."

Well, no, Ohm's law is not sufficient; the circuits involved are AC
circuits, involving inductance, capacitance, resistance, inrush current, and
power factors.

'JANA' wrote: "A simple explanation, is that your AC outlet in the average
home (In North America) can supply 15 Amps at 120 Volts."

Well no, most wall sockets in USA buildings, if to electrical construction
codes are on circuits breakered at 20 Amperes.

'JANA' wrote: "Very few of your devices use more than 1 or 2 Amps." and
"Very few of your devices use more than 1 or 2 Amps. The only exceptions are
the air conditioner, toaster, microwave oven, and the electric kettle, just
to mention a few."

Fuzzy; most devices DO use more than one or two Amperes. The list of
exceptions to a '1 or 2 Amps' limit is MUCH longer than the list of the
devices below that limit. Other than small and florescent lamps, small
radios, and wall warts, what's left under '1 or 2 Amps'?

There are a number of non obvious differences between UK electrical codes,
practices, and specifications and USA codes, practices, and specifications.
Some of them are not obvious.

1. It's not just the household voltages that are different, the AC
frequency is 50Hz rather than 60Hz.
2. AC circuits in the walls are wired as a loop rather than a line or tree.
3. AC power cords tend to have a fuse in the plug.
4. Color codes for AC wiring are NOT Black/White/Green.
5. AC contacts (plugs and sockets) tend to be much heavier duty.

The above and other points need to be considered when moving UK devices to
the USA.

'JANA' wrote
"JANA" wrote in message
The router will draw the current that is correct. You need to match the
voltage to within about 1 Volt. The rating of the adaptor is the maximum
safe load it can handle. You can use the 1700 ma one, as long as the
voltage
is correct.

If you were to read up on ohm's law and understand it, you would
understand
the answer to this.

A simple explanation, is that your AC outlet in the average home (In North
America) can supply 15 Amps at 120 Volts. Very few of your devices use

--

JANA
_____

"Ann-Marie" wrote in message
Hi,
I just moved from the UK to the US. I brought my Wireless access
point/router with me, but I need to get a new DC adapter for it so that it
works on the 110V supply here.

It says on my UK adapter that the output is: 7.5V DC 1500mA 11.25VA

Every universal adapter I find that has 7.5 as an option, seems to have a
current rating of either below, or above the 1500mA I need. They are
usually
either about 1000mA, or 1700mA etc.

Does anyone know if this is a required rating, or if it will automatically
only take the current required, as long as it's set to 7.5V ?

For example, if I get the one with only 1000mA rating, will it not work?
If
I get the 1700mA one, will it be too much and blow the wireless access
point?

Thanks for any help,
Daniel