Old May 3rd 18, 08:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

Default Help PCI slots and SATA III

graphic card/SATA III questions
1. Have graphics cards improved so that they don't block adjacent
mobo slots?
2. Are there expansion cards for PCI slots that provide internal SATA
III connectors?
3. What's the correct search term to use?
4. Will such a SATA III expansion card transfer data at or near the
same speed as
the SATA III connectors on the mobo itself?

I currently have a PowerColor Radeon HD 6750 graphics card installed in
the PCIe 2.0 x 16_1 slot of the Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB 3 motherboard.
The card works well for my needs. The problem is that the graphics
card blocks access to the PCIe 2.0 x 1_1 slot and the PCIe x 4_1 slot.
When I look at the graphics card, it looks like its cooling fan extends
over the adjoining PCIe slots.

When I originally built the pc several years ago, I wasn't concerned
about it. I now want to add an internal SATA III connector port.

The remaining open slots on the mobo are described by the manual as
follows, but I'm not sure that I can trust the description of the PCIe
2.0 slot in the manual. The pictures I see of PCIe 2.0 cards look like
the pins have a different shape that what it looks like on my mobo, but
then I haven't really dealt with them before.
PCIe 2.0 x 16_2 slot (blue single at x 18 or dual at x8 link)
PCI slot 1
PCI slot 2

Thanks,

John