Old December 10th 06, 12:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jim

Default 5 1/4" floppy drive question

I have a lot of 5 1/4" floppy disks I would like to copy to CD-R. These
are mostly Quickbasic and PDS 7.1 libraries and source code and such, and
are not generally around any more.

I do not currently have a computer able to read these disks, but have a
couple of 5 1/4" drives w/cables I have saved from computers (mostly 486's I
suspect) I have salvaged in the past.

Can I install one of these in a WIN98 computer? I have a couple of these
that were discards/replacements that I grabbed, and they all have 3 1/2"
drives which I don't particularly need. Will a 5 1/4" drive work in place
of the 3 1/2"? What do I need to do to get this working?

I really would like to copy these under Windows, since, if there are
problems reading these old disks, I can use Badcopy Pro or other media
recovery software.

Thanks
Jim