Old January 7th 07, 03:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Default 8800 GTX or not?

Dell 30" LCD, prices start at $1200 (money is not an issue, right?):
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=222-0863

As for the 30 fps debate, there are papers written on it, as Cameron pointed
out. A quick and simple test you can do yourself, if you have Quake 3
installed, is to cap the in-game framerate and see what happens.

Type "com_maxfps 30" to cap it at 30 fps. Wiggle the mouse and move around a
bit. Then type "com_maxfps 60" and go through the same motions. You should
notice a big difference in fluidity. 30 fps is the *bare minimum* for a
human to perceive smooth motion. The eyes can however appreciate a faster
framerate, because in-game movements are much faster than real-life
movements.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I've been thinking about upgrading my video card...
The top card today is the 8800GTX (Money is not an issue), I looked at
how it preforms on http://www.tomshardware.com/ and even at 2560x1600,
4x AA, 4x AF, Doom 3 the results are 60fps!!!
it's working very well... too well...

BUT, who uses this resolution??? and LCD monitors don't even support
that high resolutions...
at 1024x768, 4x AA, 4x AF, Doom 3 the results are 210fps

So why sould anyone buy this card? no one needs 210 fps! you'r brain
can't consive more than 30 fps...