Old August 14th 09, 08:59 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Default Hot, Hot Prescott

I have a little desktop system built around an Intel D865GVHZ (socket-478)
motherboard with a Celeron 345 3.06GHz Prescott cpu. W2k sp4, speedfan,
cpuz, AVG, Kerio, AdAware, Spybot S&D, etc.

Like all Prescott-core cpu's, it's always run hot. I had to
uninstall Intel Active Monitor as the alarms were driving me up the
wall. Also had to cease running Spybot scans because it ramped cpu
to 100% for an extended period so the cpu temp approached 80 C.

Was running Win Defrag the other day, noticed cpu at 100% and temp
at 82 C (per Speedfan). I have no idea why the ordinarily i/o-bound
defrag was using a consistent 100% of cpu, but I figure the 82 C was
definitely in the ballpark for melting the 0's into 1's.

There are 4 fans in the mini-tower case. All were working fine when I
cleaned and checked previous to the 82 C. defrag reading.

Has anyone had problems with the accuracy of a temp sensor on an
Intel D865Gxxx board?

My multiplier is locked. Setting priority has no effect so long as
cpu cycles are available.

Any idea re how I might slow the cycle speed so I can run certain
cpu intensive programs?

Thx,
Will