Old January 30th 06, 08:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

Default Interesting 4P Opteron server from Appro

YKhan wrote:
Rob Stow wrote:
And that reminds me of something else about this Appro system:
it is being offered with 128 GB of PC2700. Everyone else tends
to offer 32 GB PC3200, 64 GB PC2700, or 128 GB PC2100.
("Everyone else" is HP and one other vendor that I can't recall
at the moment.)

Appro has a special deal with some memory manufacturer for 4GB PC2700
DIMMs?

I have no idea where they are getting their DIMMs or for how much
$$$. And these days there does not seem to be any price
difference between PC2100 and PC2700 ECC Reg DIMMs regardless of
the DIMM size. Heck, for DIMMS up to 2 GB there is no price
difference between PC2100 and PC3200.

My point was that the other 4P Opty vendors are not willing to
guarantee PC2700 speeds beyond 64 GB - they only offer you
PC2100. To me that suggests that Appro has more confidence in
the quality of their motherboards if they think that all 8 DIMM
sockets attached to each CPU can handle 4 GB PC2700 DIMMs.