Old February 23rd 04, 10:55 PM
°Mike°

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:31:44 -0500, in

ICee scrawled:

Bob wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:07:28 +0000, °Mike° wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:36:35 -0500, in
pan.2004.02.23.18.36.34.334307@ifyoureallywanttok now.com
Bob scrawled:

snip

The other thing is that Windows 98 isn't really capable of utilizing
512MB of RAM.

Rubbish!

:-), you think so? Ever see a Win9X use 512MB RAM? I doubt it.
This has been well known for years, here's an excerpt from:

http://www.memorystock.com/windows-memory.html

"Note that if you are upgrading your RAM memory, a computer using
Windows 95 or Windows 98 (first edition) will not recognise more than
256MB. Moreover RAM that Windows cannot cache (recognise) will be
accessed as slowly as the virtual memory swap file (win386.swp) that
Windows creates on the boot hard disk drive to use when the amount of
RAM runs out. Therefore, adding too much RAM can slow down a system
considerably. Unless you are using a non_Windows operating system
such as Linux, and unless you employ the fix a link to which is
provided below, your must have Windows 98SE or run a later version to
use more than 256MB of RAM.

This limitation does not apply to Windows 2000 and Windows XP."

Haven't you wondered why the title of the article you quote is "I have
more than 512MB of RAM. Why does Windows say I'm out of memory?"? And,
that it mentions 512 MB in most of the article, and 256 MB in just one
paragraph? It's obviously a typo, or the person writing it has no idea
what he/she is talking about.
When I was running Win98SE with 512 MB of RAM, the system would
typically use most of it (much more than 256 MB) when running a game, or
a number of programs at once. A nice utility for checking memory use,
as well as setting Vcache and a number of other parameters, is Cacheman:
http://www.outertech.com/

Thank you for injecting a little sanity.

--
Basic computer maintenance