Old February 23rd 04, 10:55 PM
°Mike°

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:44:02 -0500, in
pan.2004.02.23.21.44.01.560733@ifyoureallywanttok now.com
Bob scrawled:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:13:43 +0000, °Mike° wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:07:28 -0500, in
pan.2004.02.23.21.07.27.346868@ifyoureallywanttok now.com
Bob scrawled:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:27:02 +0000, °Mike° wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:09:40 -0500, in
pan.2004.02.23.20.09.39.494825@ifyoureallywanttok now.com
Bob scrawled:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:07:28 +0000, °Mike° wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:36:35 -0500, in
pan.2004.02.23.18.36.34.334307@ifyoureallywanttok now.com
Bob scrawled:

snip

The other thing is that Windows 98 isn't really capable of utilizing
512MB of RAM.

Rubbish!

:-), you think so? Ever see a Win9X use 512MB RAM? I doubt it.

I've got one running 768MB, and I know numerous people who have 1GB in
Win98 systems. Doubt it all you want.

I don't care how much RAM you have inside the box, Win9X is not using it
all, not anything near 512, let alone 256.

I see. You know more about my box than I do, then. That figures....

I know what I know about O/S's and hardware.

Which is not as much as you think, obviously.

For instance, I have an XP
pro machine next to me that's currently running Office 2003 word, outlook,
ppoint, publisher, infopath, excel, access, IE, nav corporate
edition 7.2 scanning my disk (7200rpm ata133),filezilla ftp downloading
an iso image from FreeBSD ftp2 site, real1player,M$ maps and trips, M$
Money and, moviemaker, all open. Also, I'm doing frequency analysis on a
45 minute .wav file in Cooledit Pro. My box is using 252MB RAM, cpu is a
2.4GHz, also the nav scan process is set high priority. This has been
running for awhile now, a few minutes at least. Oh, and taskmgr is open as
well. My box only has 256MB ram in it. My page file is, of course, going
nuts. Now, what difference does it make if I have 512MB in this box,`
wouldn't be using it anyway, but I would be paging. Windows extended
memory manager does not necessarily work as might think, it will page
first depending on address space, application that's using RAM, and a
bunch of other factors.

Stick these wherever they do the most good:
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/temp/monitor1.jpg
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/temp/monitor2.jpg

Show me your mem stats from this box that shows more than 256 actually
IN USE. Your 9X, ME boxes, don't/won't use 512MB ram.

That makes 481 MB (of 768) RAM currently used (no swap file usage),
on Windows 98SE.

snip

No one's a know-it-all

You appear to be.

in this business, I'm a bored network admin./sys engineer stuck at
home with a broken ****ing ankle.

I'm not impressed.

--
Basic computer maintenance