Old February 23rd 04, 10:33 PM
jersie0

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:48:51 -0000, "eric_seal"
wrote:

snip

The difference between 128 M and 512 M is not going to be as noticeable as
the difference between 32M and 128M, so dont expect miracles!. Simplifying
things, when Win98 runs out of memory, it substitutes hard disk space -
which is much slower. So you will be able to run more programs concurrently
without the hard disk light looking like a christmas tree light. You will be
able to sort larger databases, convert larger graphics images, index larger
Word documents, all without the machine turning into a dead slug.

Yeah, I feel stupid. Of course, software that scans files is HD
intensive. Oops. I'll give the kids a crack at games and see if they
no longer crash. Or edit a big photo file.

snip

Or it could be your new memory is slower..

Probably not. The new memory is Dell memory (same part number and
everything) purchased from a third party vendor that wanted 20% less
for it than Dell did.

snip

If you are saying that it takes 10-30 minutes to print all the stuff in the
queue ahead of the fifth document, that's life..get a faster printer or look
at using a less complex printer definition. If you are saying that with the
fourth document printed, it takes 10-30 mins for the fifth document to start
printing, that is another matter. More straws... but with a dot matrix
printer it would happen because the print head got so damn hot that the
printer slowed down printing to allow the head to cool down. With some
cheapo lasers it happens the same - although the fusing roller is
temperature controlled it dumps so much heat into the printer internals
that, after a sustained heavy print, the laser will over temperature and
stop for a while. But to answer your question (omg, I'll never be a
politician...).No. Probably (maybe I will make politician after all).

The issue isn't the speed of the printer. Documents go into the print
queue instantly. Upon completion of a print job, the next job
immediately changes its status to PRINTING in the queue. But after a
couple consecutive prints, the wait time between status changing to
PRINTING and the actual beginning of physical printing increases
markedly, going from near instantaneous to as long as 30 minutes.

My printer is an HP 920c inkjet and is great. I am quite confident
that my increase in memory will solve the print queue problems.

Thanks!