Old July 2nd 19, 09:49 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Default S.M.A.R.T. reports bad sectors, but badblocks no errors?

On 7/2/19 2:31 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:

What should I make of a drive for which S.M.A.R.T. reports 8 bad
sectors (a single 4K block, I assume), but badblocks reports no errors
on a read-write test?

I think it depends on the drive is.

I suspect that any drive that has S.M.A.R.T. also has spare sectors that
aren't visible to the OS.

As such, it's entirely possible that the 8 sectors are indeed bad and
have been swapped out with spares that are good.

Running a bad block check from the OS (outside of the drive & integrated
controller) on such a will likely not see any problem(s).

Now, after just one more run of badblocks, S.M.A.R.T. reports no errors.
So I assume that now a spare block is in use.

Perce