View Single Post
Old May 6th 19, 10:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default How GT 520 auto detect VGA,HDMI,DVI device ? Is there manual override ?

How does the GT 520 auto-detect the connected the device ?

It has 3 connectors: VGA, HDMI and DVI.

What I want to do is:

1. Use VGA always for monitor.
2. Use HDMI only for audio connection to receiver.

Problem with this setup is that GT 520 believes receiver to be a monitor and switches to it automatically on boot, with different/weird results, either no screen, or bad screen.

Only pulling out HDMI cable and rebooting will restore screen to VGA.

I have not yet tried the following solution:

1. Use DVI for monitor.
2. Use HDMI for receiver.

What would happen in this scenerio ?

I could not perform this experiment cause I didn't think of it at the time and the nvidia driver installation failed, complaining about some wizard already running after reboot which was kinda weird.

I installed an older driver over a newer driver (gt 1030).

I have now replaced the GT 520 by the GT 1030 and will attempt to re-install latest GT 1030 driver.

Hopefully this time it will work.

I would still like to know how GT 520 does auto-detect and if it's somehow possible to force it to always use VGA or always use DVI... instead of having to revert to physical solutions like yanking/plugging high-powered hdmi cables and rebooting.

For now I assume this forcing/manual selection of display device is not possible but please enlightening me if I am wrong.

(System uses a socket 939 winfast motherboard which only supports one graphics card in normal mode unfortunately... would have liked to use both cards for experimenting purposes and maybe even cuda-ing sometime in future.... perhaps it's the build in sli-card-link thing that causes this not sure).

Bye,
Skybuck.