Old August 19th 04, 03:41 AM
James Sweet

"Greg" wrote in message
om...
G'day from a long way away....

I am struggling with an argument about a couple of damaged home
computers and I was wondering if anyone can help????

The switchboard for a suburban house was replaced in November 2003.
Since February 03 various appliances in the house have failed,
including three pcs. The owners believe that lower than stat limits
voltage into the residence caused the failure. Since the switchboard
was replaced the problems have stopped.

Their electrician said that the switchboard was a 30 year old
porcelain-fused model and was burning out on the busbar and the
circuits on the board were overloaded with too many appliances.

My question to you, if you would be so kind...."What chance is there
that the slightly under supply of grid voltage would severely damage
pcs, or, is the pc damage more likely to be as a result of the arcing
at the switchboard?"

Greg,
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Either undervoltage or arcing can damage equipment.