Old July 14th 04, 03:42 AM
David Maynard

w_tom wrote:

Defined is an ineffective protector made bluntly obvious by
1) no dedicated connection to earth ground AND 2) avoids all
discussion about earthing.

What's "bluntly obvious" is that you have no clue what 'earth ground' is or
what protects equipment.

snip of irrelevant UPS babble and slanderous accusations from w_tom

In the meantime, as a Belkin employee,

Do you have to actually work at being a bald face liar or does it just come
naturally?

then please tell us
what happened to the 'all so necessary' earth ground
connection.

It's in the wall plug, dummy.

And where are the technical notes that discuss
essential earthing? This product is so effective? It must
have some secret grounding technique. Or is earthing just
another 'secret' along with those warranty exemptions.

It's rather obvious to the rest of the world but, since you consider this a
'secret', listen up close... psst... it's in the wall plug, dummy.

David Maynard wrote:

w_tom wrote:

If a warranty was really a measure of product quality, then
Hyundais are clearly much more reliable than Hondas and
Toyotas. After all Hyundai promotes their vastly superior
warranty.

In the first place, we're not talking about a warrantee on
the 'product', we're talking about an insurance of devices
protected by it.

The is a modicum of truth to pointing out that warrantee
alone is not a 'perfect' indicator, however...

Especially with surge protectors, the larger a warranty,
then the protector is typically less effective.

that statement is patently absurd.

A benchmark in protectors is Polyphaser. They offer no
warranty. But then we have repeated testimony from
those who learned about that warranty first hand:
Newsman on 10 Sept 2002 in the newsgroup alt.video.ptv.tivo
entitled "SONY TiVo SVR-2000"

I got a Belkin surge protector with phone line protection
soley for Tivo purposes.
Yet my Tivo's modem still failed. And the '$20,000
connected devices warranty' did not help me. I jumped
through many hoops, including finding the original recept
for the surge protector (just under a year old) and I
sent my surge protector to Belkin (paid for shipping), and
was denied my warranty. They gave me a ton of crap,
including that it was null and void b/c the Tivo was also
connected to the coax line for cable

Of course, because it, the surge protector, can't protect
something it's not connected to: I.E. the cable connection.

Belkin offers protectors with modem protection as well as
protectors with cable connection protection but he
apparently had the wrong one on it.

(this was not

mentioned as a thing in the warranty that can nullify it).

This person apparently didn't read the warrantee because it
IS explained fully.

Eventually it boiled down to a line in the warranty that
said "Belkin at it's sole discretion can reject any claim
for any reason".

Try reading the fine print attached to that warranty before
jumping to conclusions.

I DID read it, and it's obvious you haven't a clue. Not that
that stops you from spouting garbage about it anyway.

They did provide that long list of exemptions with the
Belkin protector. Oh? They forgot to provide that
information? How curious.

What isn't curious are your perpetual innuendoes and
attacks on manufacturers you have no clue about, terms
and conditions you have no clue about, and technology
you have no clue about.