Old September 29th 18, 02:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

Default Win 10 home networking

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 16:05:08 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

Yes, it's becoming clearer that the Thinkpad, also the most recent
addition, is the problem. I can access the server or any other
computer from any device except the Thinkpad. But the Thinkpad can
ONLY access my desktop (GB) computer. In fact, since I have access to
everyone on all the devices set, it can see everything on GB but
nothing on any other device. This really puzzles me....
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, but this is really
getting out of my limited understanding of networking.

When you make the connection, is it asking for username/password ?

And then after that, you can't access anything on the volume ?

Paul

From the Thinkpad, I ask to view files on wife's computer:
\\JoAnn-pc

Windows then displays the printer that's attached to JoAnn-pc and all
the drive letters assigned, and also certain folders like Users.
However if I try to actually look at the contents of any of the
drives, for example i, I get the message "windows cannot access
\\joann-pc\i

network administrator to request access.

However, JoAnn-pc is set up for access by "everyone", and indeed I can
view the files from other computers on the network, both connected by
wireless and by cable.

Another bit of information. If at the stage where the drive letters
are displayed, I try to look at the folder Users, I can open that
folder and look at all the files under the folder Public. And I just
tried to copy a file to the folder Public and confirmed that I can do
that.