Old September 27th 18, 06:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

Default Win 10 home networking

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 22:04:50 -0400, Paul
wrote:

snipped

I converted your PDF into some hen-scrawl of my own.

GB_Desktop 192.168.1.65 * sees all
SuperJoey-MoCA 192.168.1.67
Hopper2-br 192.168.1.68
? 192.168.1.66
Fox (serve) 192.168.1.79 * (running IPV6)
fe80::7d7b:d30b:2df4:c95e
? 192.168.1.69
Android 192.168.1.70
Wife 192.168.1.72 *
fe80::5da5:b0c6:513c:ccfe
X SAMSUNG-SM-G930A 192.168.1.64
X Matebook 192.168.1.73 Portable

Matebook can see all computers and files on them.
SAMSUNG-SM-G930A 192.168.1.75
fe80::ae5f:3eff:fe69:a993
SAMSUNG-SM-G930A 192.168.1.74
fe80::ae5f:3eff:fe9f:a752
X LAPTOP Thinkpad 192.168.1.76 Wifi Portable Can't see IPV6 Wife or IPV6 Fox

Correct, Thinkpad seems to be the only one that can't see everything.
Yet thinkpad CAN see everything on GB.
Galaxy-Tab-S2 192.168.1.77
fe80::b674:43ff:fe30:809d
X ROKU 192.168.1.78 Wifi
viziocastdisplay192.168.1.80
fe80::a68d:3bff:fe34:14f6

1 Portable missing from list ???

Yes, Samsung Series 7 was off when this was generated. Just checked,
it is assigned 192.168.1.81 Samsung can see Thinkpad and access files
on it, but thinkpad can't access files on Samsung.

*******

IPV6 used to be a requirement of HomeGroups.
HomeGroups are deprecated in 17134.

Yet, a number of services used by HomeGroups
are still present. Something with a name like
"Function Discovery" or the like, might be one of
them.

Apparently, while IPV4 has NetBIOS (the workhorse),
one of those seven services for HomeGroup is the
IPV6 equivalent of a resource enumerator.

But that doesn't really explain your symptoms, because
your description suggests you're not having a problem
"seeing" the device, merely a problem getting in.

The standard advice for these situations is to do

\\192.168.1.79\FamilyTree

to get to a particular volume on Fox, instead of
doing symbolic access as in

\\Fox\FamilyTree

So you can attempt to contact the server (i.e. one
of your cases that does not work) and get the job
done that way.

Tried that. As before, I get to the computer, but cannot access any of
the drives or files, even when addressing as you suggested.

As for fixing it properly, you'd research what the
seven services are that HomeGroups used to use,
and two of them (with perhaps Function in the name),
might play some part in Discovery of the things via
their IPV6 address.

I would hope that the OS is not set up to prioritize
one addressing scheme over the other, but such a thing
happening is probably inevitable. It could be that the
IPV6 machines lean on IPV6 first, and if their
Function Discovery thingy is missing, then the

\\Fox\FamilyTree

remains broken.

Maybe someone who has a handy list of the services to
check, could post them for you.

Plugging in some breadcrumbs from the above gets me...

https://technet.microsoft.com/pt-pt/...(v=ws.10).aspx

"NetBIOS over IPv6 is not supported. Therefore, NetBIOS name
resolution techniques cannot be used to resolve names to IPv6 addresses."

Neighbor discovery is necessary in IPV6, because you have 4 billion
link local addresses available on your own LAN. And unlike a
subnet with only 255 nodes, it's a little difficult to use a
primitive brute force search to find the other machines. A
more intelligent method is needed when a node wakes up.

Now, this article is getting a bit closer, except it is doing
the *negative* of what you want. It's disabling discovery.
But at least it has some names you can check in services.msc.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...ork-resources/

# Function Discovery Resource Publication
# Function Discovery Provider host
# SSDP

Now, SSDP was a useful one back in Win7 days. It's sole
purpose back then, was to draw that network map in the
Network control center panel. It didn't seem to do anything
else at the time. But still, it's something you can check
to see if its running on the ThinkPad (which I believe is
your flaky node).

Paul

Yes, it's becoming clearer that the Thinkpad, also the most recent
addition, is the problem. I can access the server or any other
computer from any device except the Thinkpad. But the Thinkpad can
ONLY access my desktop (GB) computer. In fact, since I have access to
everyone on all the devices set, it can see everything on GB but
nothing on any other device. This really puzzles me....
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, but this is really
getting out of my limited understanding of networking.