Old April 26th 08, 04:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Arno Wagner

Default Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist?

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage abonne abonne@free wrote:

Bill Todd wrote:
abonne wrote:
Hello:

I wonder if any converters are out there, to make a networked storage
(SMB share, NDAS, ...) appear as a USB drive. That would be a small box
with a USB male connector and a 1GB Ethernet socket, remotely
configurable to access the specific networked storage.

I don't have a pointer to one that's available today, but I own an
inexpensive USB-to-RJ45 converter cable (not even a box) that (with the
installed software) allows me to access my local network through a USB
1.1 port on my old laptop (which lacks a built-in network port). It
would not make the remote storage 'appear as a USB drive', though: it
would just look like networked storage.

- bill

So it presents itself to the host system as a network card, like this
device:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/N...-152000210.htm

, right? It looks like a network card, not a storage, it is up to the
system to make further conversions.

I am looking for a different device - which would present itself to the
system directly as a USB disk drive.

Not easily done and requires a full computer with USB drive emulation
software an a spciel USB slave interface card.

Short form: Forget it. What are you trying to do? Maybe there is
a different way?

Arno