Old September 2nd 05, 12:31 AM
PWY

"Peter Emanuelsson" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 04:00:04 GMT, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,
CJT wrote:

Jon wrote:
"U. Cortez" said

I believe a power surge toasted my power supply the other day, so I
replaced it with a new 350W ATX PSU. After removing the burnt psu, I
screwed the new psu into the case, hooked the ATX power supply to the
motherboard, and hooked up power for various components (HD's,
CD-ROM's). The motherboard's pilot light turns on to signify that it's
getting power, but when I press the case's power button... nothing. No
fans, no sound, no disk spinning, no signs of life at all (besides that
pilot light being on). Am I forgetting something?

I inspected all the components (and the motherboard and cpu) and none
of them appear (or smell) to have been damaged.

Where do I go from here? Any help would be appreciated.

Motherboard: DFI AK70 (AMD 750 cpu).

-U.

PS, forgive the cross-post -- I don't have a news host and google is
giving me errors when I try to post to some of these groups
individually.

If your MB has the 4-pin (square) auxiliary power connector, and you
haven't connected it, you will get that result.

Another possibility is that, while changing the PS, you accidentally
disconnected the power button connector. It's small and easy to
pull off its header.

A mistake people make every now and then (including myself, and I've
assembled lots of computers) is to set the FDD power connector one
step to the side (only connecting three of the four pins), and this
will cause a shortcut.

Another possibility is that something else is dead too. All defects
aren't visible to the naked eye...

Disconnect all power cables except the one to the motherboard, and
also disconnect the IDE and FDD cables (a defective drive can prevent
a computer from starting).

Then try to start the comp again.

If it works now, start reconnecting components one by one, and do a
test start between each...

If it doesn't start even with all drives etc disconnected, your mobo
might be fried. Or maybe your new PSU is defective too. Or something
else...

--
May all spammers die in horrible pains!
Wanna e-mail me? Well, peter_e is correct, but the rest is obviously

On the back of the power supply, there is a switch where voltage can be set
to either 120 volts or 240 volts. Make sure it is set to the correct
voltage. This often overlooked.