Old August 7th 07, 03:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Eric[_9_]

Default External 5.25" Floppy Drive?

"philo" wrote in message

"Eric" wrote in message
Hi,

Don't laugh, but has anyone come across such an animal that will work
with
modern PC's?
Or has anyone cannibalized a 3.5" external floppy and used the guts to
get

5.25" floppy talking?

I would need it to work with everything from 360K SS/SD to 1.2MB DS/DD
floppies.

I have a ton of 5.25" floppies that I want to get archived onto a CD

before
they are lost to time. Believe it or not, almost all of a large sample
that I tested are still readable. The old 5.25" drives themselves are

still
functioning fine. (They were used TRS-80's Cocos, not PC's, back in the
day.)

Can always just stick one of the 5.25" drives into a PC interally, of
course, but thought putting together something external would be

convienent.

I've never seen a USB, 5.25" floppy...It might possibly work using the
electronics from an external 3.5" drive...
but it would sure be kind of messy looking.
Considering the external floppy drives are maybe $50 or so and that it may
not work anyway...
I think I'd just install the 5.25" floppy drive in your present machine
(If you don;t like the way it looks, you can always remove it once you;ve
backed up all your old data)

Hi,

Yeah, I'm not sure if it would work either. Since posting, I forgot that I
had an old 486 stashed away somewhere in the basement. I'll just slap one
of the 5.25" drives into that old klunker and use it not only to transfer
all this old stuff onto new media but also run a Coco emulator on it...