Old October 31st 03, 02:32 AM
Steven Myers

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Vellu wrote:

BTW, the way I upgraded (WinXP Pro SP1):

1) Uninstalled the previous card drivers
2) Shutdown and hardware install
3) Boot
4) XP detects new hardware and asks to install driver...click CANCEL

(finds
two new devices, display controller and display controller (vga
compatible),
cancel driver install for both)
5) Installed Catalyst 3.8
6) Reboot

No problems what so ever.

This worked for me, so thanks. I'm curious why, though. Why do the ATI
drivers on the CD that comes with the Radeon 9600SE absolutely refuse to
install under the same conditions (with the two Video Controller
devices), while the Catalyst 3.8 drivers I downloaded from ATI's site
work without complaint? That is just sloppy.

Another question if I might: is there an easy way to force the install of
the multimedia center components from the CD (the software wants to
install the driver, and I'm not going there again), or will I have to
download another 25+ megs of stuff from ATI?

Thanks again.

--
Steven Myers
The user's email address has automatically been obscured.