Old April 14th 09, 02:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Default PC Power Problem???

Gre0145 wrote:
A friend has an old PC running 98SE. It will power up but after 1/2 an
hour to 1 hour it will die and not turn on. If you let it sit for
another 1/2 hour it will power up and repeat the process. Power Supply
or CPU/Motherboard? All fans are working and I have blown all the dust
out of the tower. Thoughts?

Power supplies do like to fail (I've got a couple dead ones here).

If you post a bit more detail, like computer make and complete
model number, that may make it easier for someone to make
some suggestions.

If the fans are working, and the CPU heatsink hasn't fallen
off the motherboard, that makes the power supply a more likely culprit.

Paul