Old February 19th 04, 08:59 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 01:57:15 -0800, raj wrote:

i woudl keep the 2000+ and oc it to 3200+ so you save more money and you can

I've got a 2000+. Could you please tell me how I can clock it to get 3200+
performance from it. What speed would the cpu have to run to get this?
BTW, it's a Palomino core.:-)
I think you assumed he had a Tbred B core. Even at that, he'd have to
clock it to about 2400MHz to equal a 3200+. The Palomino core won't go
much over 1800Mhz, and the Tbred B core not much over 1900MHz. For shy of
a 3200+.

upgrade with a A64 bit system

Now this makes sense. Probably wouldn't be much more than he proposed.

"Bruce Tyler" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:18:02 +1300, Bruce Tyler wrote:

I am about to update my PC - well at least a few components.. I want
to know which is the better way to go. It will NOT be a total update
but while I have the chance, I wish to splash out just a little...

Presently I have...
Asus A7M266 M/Bd
XP2000+ CPU
512 mb PC2100
Leadtech 280 Ti4200 128mb
etc, etc...

Those are the main parts I have and wish to update... I want to know
which is the better choice..
Option 1)..
Asus A7NAX (maybe a Deluxe) M/Bd
XP2800 CPU
512mb PC3200

OR...
Option 2)..
Asus A7NAX (as above) M/Bd
XP3000 CPU
(leaving the PC2100 as is)

I am into audio editing,, large file compressing,, games...

Now remember, I can't really afford to splash out big time so I want
to get a better bang per buck especially where games are concerned and
both of the options above will cost within a few bucks of each other.
I can't quite make up my mind...

Thanks for any thoughts/replies...

Oh...
What I forgot to ask was...

Will a PC run successfully on just ONE stick of 512mb of RAM or should
it be two..??? This would mean that if I was to get 512mb of PC3200, it
would have to be 2 x 256mb which I would rather not do as I thought
about going up to 1Gb RAM in the future some time and it would be
better to have 2x 512mb...